Friday, April 22, 2016

Week 13 Storytelling: Water-spirit

Here begins another bedtime story of three sisters. As always they will be focusing on Mickey and Minnie as their favorite main characters.
Mary said, “Get yourselves ready girls. I am about to start our new bedtime story.”
Once upon a time there was a prince, Mickey. He had two brothers named Micko and Mickin. The brothers had real bond of love between them. However, everyone loved Mickin because he was the youngest one. The brother’s mother always loved Mickin more for the same reason. Suddenly, the father was not feeling well.
Now it was about time to give the kingdom to one of the three brothers. The brother’s father wanted Mickey to rule because he was the oldest one, but the mother said, “No.”
She said, “I always wanted to see Mickin ruling this kingdom after you.”
Then father said angrily, “NO, it is our oldest son responsibility. I have no problem in making Micki the king, but he is the youngest from all. He would not be able to make smart moves like Mickey.”
Then the mother called Mickey and told him to leave the kingdom and live in a forest. In addition to that, she told him to take Micko as well. So, Mickin would be the only one left in the kingdom to rule. So, as they were leaving, Mickin saw them and forced them that he would not let them go unless they take him with themselves.
When they reached the forest, there they saw a pond to refresh themselves.  By the pond, they met a guys, who was known as water-spirit.
Ally said, “That is interesting. What does he do, Mary?
Water-spirit has the right to make anyone marry who drinks out of that pond because he is the king of that forest.
As the brother drank from pond, the water-spirit took them into his cave and showed them three different girls and ordered each of the brother to marry each girl.
Mickey did not like that and angrily he said, “No, none of us would marry your given girls. We are new in this forest. We do not know any rules.”
Water-spirit said, “What is wrong with these girls? Look, they are beautiful and what else do you young boys need. Either you guys marry these girls or you all would die within 10 minutes you refuse to marry these angles.”
Mary said, “Then they all agrees to marry the girls and Mickey marries the girl named Minnie.”

Ally continued, “It was nice story, but it did not focus on Minnie’s character at all. That was sad.”

Water-spirit
Author's Note: I read princess and the water-spirit jataka tales by Ellen C. Babbit. I changed the story a lot around. The beginning of the story was same of three brother and they all go to the forest and find a water-spirit. In the original story, water-spirit asks a question and when someone answers it wrong then he takes him to his cave. None of the brother answered it corrected except for prince star, the oldest one. Since he gets it right then he got to free his brothers from water-spirit.

Bibliography: Babbitt, Ellen C. "The Princes and the Water-Spirit." The Balwin Porject



3 comments:

  1. I was a little confused by the ending, the part with Ally. I’m not sure if that was supposed to be there. Or maybe it is because I saw her earlier in the story. I was just thrown off a little because I can’t see the connection. Oh, also towards the end there is a few spelling mistakes, but those are easy fixes. I’m pretty positive I have a dozens of those in my own. One thing I always liked about your story, is the continuation of certain characters. I follow Mickey and Minnie throughout their various adventures. I come to expect that when I read when your stories and it’s comforting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aysha, this was a really great story! I love reading bedtime stories, as I have chosen my entire Storybook to be in the bedtime story format. I love how you incorporated the reading material into the story, yet still made it your own. My favorite part was when you talked about how the mother favors the youngest child the most. This definitely happens in my family, haha. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was another great story! Throughout the semester, I have visited your blog several times because I like the consistency of using the same theme. Good job on incorporating the Jatakas tales into your writing. Your story was simple and to the point. The author's note was descriptive and gave insight on what happened in the original reading. I thought it was funny at the end the girls sounded a little disappointed because you didn't focus more on Minnie.

    ReplyDelete